Second Sunday in December
Devotion Focus: JOY
- Begin: Have everyone bow their heads and pray for God’s blessing.
- Light the Prophecy and Bethlehem candles, then light the pink, or Shepherd’s Candle – the candle of JOY.
- Reading: The change in color from purple to pink represents a change in focus from hope and peace to a JOYFUL celebration of repentance. Repentance lifts the weight of sin and opens our life to amazing joy. This week we “REJOYCE” in sins forgiven, peace in our hearts, and a restored relationship with our heavenly Father. The key to the Holy Spirit’s image of relationships in our life is that of service. Gifts are good, but when given from a JOYFUL heart, they are even more lasting. The apostle Paul instructs us, “So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2 Corinthians 9:7). The joy of sins forgiven motivates to serve him with JOY. This Christmas, spread JOY to yourself and others by serving them!
- Prayer: Father, help me to serve you and others with a JOYFUL heart.
- Thought: Give JOYFULLY. Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” (Acts 20:35)
- Optional Activity: Pick one or more topics below to contemplate or discuss.
- How is JOY different from happiness? Can you recall a time in your life when you experienced great JOY despite difficult circumstances?
- How might we share JOY with others, particularly with those who may be struggling during the holiday season?
- Discuss any insights from your second week of Advent calendar readings.
Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee
Oh What a Glorious Night
Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee
Christ Centered Christmas
FLASH MOB VIDEO
(People responding to the TRUTH)
We Adore Thee